The San Bernardino County Museum is the largest museum in inland Southern California. It was founded to preserve, study, and communicate our cultural and natural heritage. Collections in archaeology, history, geology, paleontology, biological sciences and fine arts are exhibited on three floors at the main museum in Redlands. The museum administers historic structures in Chino, Rancho Cucamonga, Colton, Redlands, Yucaipa and Daggett. The Museum is a favorite destination for family outings, school groups, and tourists, offering family programs, volunteer opportunities, research, and outreach educational programs for students and community members throughout inland southern California. Active research programs support extensive collections in cultural and natural history.
Location: 2024 Orange Tree Lane, Redlands CA 92374, just north of Interstate 10 at the California Street exit
Group Reservations: (909) 307-2669 ext. 256
Hours: Tuesdays–Sundays and holiday Mondays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed most Mondays, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Years Day
General Admission: Adults $6; Seniors and Students $5; Children (5-12) $4; Children under 4 and Museum Association members free. Special rates are available for organized groups of 10 or more.
Museum Historic Sites
Tuesdays through Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Asistencia, an outpost of Mission San Gabriel
26930 Barton Road, Redlands • California Historic Landmark #42
A 1937 WPA reconstruction of the 1819 Estancia. The historic property served as home to pioneer settlers. The site includes a chapel and museum displays of local history.
Agua Mansa Pioneer Cemetery
2001 Agua Mansa Road, Colton • California Historic Landmark #121
The cemetery is the only remaining evidence of the largest settlement between Santa Fe and Los Angeles in 1840. The site includes a reconstructed chapel with museum displays.
John Rains House
8810 Hemlock, Rancho Cucamonga • National Register of Historic Places 75-428.
The restored 1860 rancho residence of John and Maria Merced Rains on the Cucamonga Rancho is the oldest fired brick structure standing in San Bernardino County.
Yorba and Slaughter Families Adobe
17126 Pomona Rincon Road, Chino • California Historic Landmark #191• National Register of Historic Places 75-460
The historic adobe residence at this site was the home of Raimundo Yorba and was purchased in 1868 by Fenton M. Slaughter. The site includes the restored home with museum displays, a post office/general store, and a winery.
32183 Kentucky Street, Yucaipa • California Historic Landmark #528
The Yucaipa Adobe is believed to have been constructed in 1858 by the noted hunter, trapper, and mountaineer, James Waters. It was purchased by John Dunlap, a Texas cattleman, in 1868, and developed as an agricultural ranch.
The Daggett Stone Hotel
Constructed in the 1860s, the Daggett Stone Hotel is one of the few remaining structures representing late nineteenth century mining and railroad history in the Mojave Desert. Exterior interpretive displays.